Sunday, March 28, 2010

TV time

Thought I'd share a few shots of our semi-nightly routine:

On the couch, watching TV. At least I'm watching TV, anyway; I'm not sure about Mick. He certainly gives the impression that he does, because he will perch on my left shoulder like this more-or-less without budging for hours with his face pointed so he can see the TV screen. Occasionally, he will shift position slightly, maybe turn and lick my face if I've stopped petting him, then settle down again once petting has resumed.


The only time he will move around for the most part is if we're not alone in the room. If my husband is sitting in his recliner, Mickey will occasionally move over to my right shoulder, put his paws on the couch arm and lean over to see what he's doing on the off-chance that there might be some petting or treats forthcoming. Once he realizes it's not going to happen, he moves back to his usual spot, pausing only to give me a few reassuring licks ("It's ok, Mum, I still love you best.") before settling down again.


If my son comes into the room, though, it's another story altogether, The boy gets ignored, at least until one of the following happens:
  • The boy pets him
  • The boy brings him a treat
  • The boy leaves the room without either petting him or bringing him a treat
The last one usually causes the biggest reaction. Mickey will turn his head in the direction my son has left, sometimes even getting up and moving a couple of steps in that direction. He will then wait a few moments to see if my son returns to the room. If there is no return, I get a look of complete affront ("Did you see that?! I have been disrespected! Aren't you going to do something about this?") . I soothe the ruffled fur with some more petting, which earns me more face-licking until, ego restored, His Majesty settles down again.



TV time usually lasts for a minimum of 2 hours, sometimes as much as 4 if we're watching a ball game. Sporting events seem to hold his interest more than regular TV shows; he prefers football and baseball in particular, but boxing bores him. He lets me know when he's had enough; he starts moving around more often or he starts giving me little nips here and there, and then I know he wants to go back to his cage. Afterwards, he enjoys dinner and/or a treat while I switch into something that's not completely covered with shedded fur.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is soooooo cute. When I was little I use to have a (huge) gunipig that would sit and "watch" TV with me.

Mickey is so cute and so obviously loved. I like that you "restore his ego" too, probably my favorite part. :)

I LOVE reading. Keep posting!

Lisa Alto said...

I can't believe he sits still for THAT long!

Jade said...

Yeah, it's surprising, although I'm sure that the petting helps; he lives to be petted.

There are a few nights when he's more fidgety, which is why I'm convinced that he does "watch TV". I know he has no idea what he's seeing and I don't know how much he actually sees, but there are certain shows that he sits still for every single time that they're on.

Cheryl said...

Nice pictures! Did Al take them? Mickey looks back to his usual fluffy self.

Jade said...

He took the first two under duress (gawd forbid he do his mom a favor ;) ), I managed to get the other two myself.

As for Mick, he's beyond fluffy and shedding like mad because of the weather. I'm coated w/fur every time I hold him.