Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The rabbit and the boy

My son is an only child (he has two half-sisters, but they are older than him by 10+ years and he only saw them some of the time growing up). Out of all the rabbits I've had, Mickey is the closest thing he's had to a "little brother", and their relationship reflects this. The boy likes to pretend he doesn't care about what Mickey does, but he's always calling my attention to one of Mickey's death flops or talking to the rabbit or trying to play with him. He'll push down gently on Mickey's head or place his forehead up against Mickey's "so he knows I'm in charge", he'll chase after Mickey and pretend to pick him up. Mickey actually enjoys the chase; he'll hop just out of my son's reach, then sit there and wait to see if the boy comes after him. Mickey ignores the boy if he comes into the room while I'm holding Mickey, but if the boy doesn't pet him or give him a treat, His Majesty gets miffed. When Mickey's out and about, he chins anything belonging to my son that's within his reach, especially if the boy's there to see him do it. The boy knows what chinning means, so he gets mock-annoyed at the disrespect and chases Mickey some more. The last time Mickey was out and about, the boy waited until Mick was stretched out and lounging, then decided to see how many of Mick's aluminum tins he could pile on him before Mickey finally moved:






As you can see, the rabbit was unimpressed. The boy, however, was in hysterics. He grabbed my camera and took these pictures before Mickey finally shook off the tins, hopped over to where my son's laptop case sat on the floor...and promptly chinned it.


7 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

it's lovely that they get on so well together!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa! Oh what a great post!! Ok...so maybe I'm like your son too, in utter histerics about all the tins on Mickey. Hilarious! What good friends and boys they both are!
Hugs,
Michelle

Jade said...

I know, it is too funny--I'm amazed that Mickey sat there the entire time, but being the lazy bun that he is, I'm assuming he just didn't feel like getting up until he had to. :)

RG said...

Tins on Mickey - yes, Goldie is a similar temperament .. very easy going about that kind of thing. When it is time to come inside from a day on the deck, Benji will run all over to get away, but Goldie justs sits and watches! Then she is a real snuggler!

Anonymous said...

That is too cute :) Do they have a "stuff on my rabbit" site like they do for cats?

Jade said...

Mickey is a total snuggle-bun as well. Unfortunately, he is also a total shedding-bun, so I'm usually the only one who's willing to snuggle with him and get coated with fur.

Jade said...

Laura: I don't know if they have a site like that, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. Try Googling it and see what comes up. :)